Chickpea & Aubergine Casserole Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes, unsweetened
- salt & pepper
- In a large pan, heat the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic until browned.
- Trim the stalk ends of the aubergine and cut into thick slices.
- Put the aubergine on top of the onion and garlic mixture and fry for a few minutes, then cover with the chickpeas and pour over the tomatoes.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Season well. Leave to cool.
- For extra zing, add some fresh or dried chilli before you leave to boil.