Gluten-free Homemade Tortillas Recipe
- 55g gluten-free flour (preferably stone-ground)
- 55g maize meal
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 240ml filtered water
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Beat in the egg and water to form a fairly thin batter. Pour into a measuring jug.
- Dust a sheet of kitchen paper with flour on the work surface.
- Heat a small, non-stick heavy frying pan. Reduce the heat to moderate.
- Pour in 1/8 of the batter and lift the pan up to quickly swirl the batter around the pan to coat the base and a little way up the sides. Cook over a moderate heat until the edge of the tortillas begins to curl slightly. Flip over and quickly dry out the other side.
- Slide onto the kitchen paper and dust with a little more flour. Cover with a second sheet of kitchen paper to keep the tortilla soft.
- Repeat, reheating the pan slightly between each tortilla, and stirring the batter every time.
- These tortillas can be stored in an airtight container for a few days. They are also suitable for freezing.