Gluten-Free Falafel Recipe
- 1 can sugar & salt-free chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion
- 3 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 1/4 cup coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour, plus more if needed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven to 180.
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Process until smooth and there are no large pieces remaining. Using hands, take golf-ball (or ping-pong) sized pieces and roll with hands. If mixture is too dry you may add a bit more oil; if it seems a bit wet, you may add a bit more (about a tablespoon) quinoa flour. Slightly flatten between palms. Set aside.
- Arrange falafel on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, turn, and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until both sides are browned.
You can serve this falafel however you like and they make a great addition to school lunch boxes. For a quick dressing, combine equal parts tahini, lemon juice and water. Add 2 cloves of grated raw garlic, a pinch of salt, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Shake in a jar, whisk or blend. Add in more tahini as needed until you reach desired thickness.